This is non-binding on the company so if Eurocan does not want to do any of the things that come out of the process, Eurocan can simply nod their head politely and it is business as usual. We will then have a repeat of the last 5 years. There will be nothing we can do about it. We will not be able to go to arbitration. An arbitrator will look at this document and tell us “It is a very nice document but is totally meaningless.”
Our position was. “You want us to accept less than the pattern and then just trust you?”
The members of CEP 298 need clear enforceable language that we can live with. Not promises that are not in writing.
We told them repeatedly, “This contract is about language and safety issues not about money.” We know the company clearly understands this.
Some of the thoughts that went though our minds:
“We were born at night, but not last night!”
“We may be green, but we are not Christmas trees!”
“Do you think we just fell off the pumpkin wagon?”
with the emphasis added by the union.
COMPANY PROPOSAL TO IMPROVE LABOUR MANAGEMENT RELATIONSHIPS AND PRODUCTIVITY AT KITIMAT
Prior to and during the strike CEP Local 298 representatives identified the relationship with the company as an impediment to successful operation at Kitimat.
The company has identified the need to improve the productivity of the Kitimat facility to ensure its long term viability.
To deal with improving the relationship between Local 298, the employees and the Company to meet the objective of improved operation the company proposes the following process:
• Appointment of a Facilitator. Once the strike is over the company and union mutually agree to the appointment of an independent third party to act as a Facilitator.
• The Facilitator is to be appointed as soon as possible after the end of the strike but not later than 30 days after the end of the strike.
• The Facilitator's appointment will be for a period of 90 days.
The Facilitator's terms of reference will be:
(1) To meet with the parties to determine factors affecting the relationship.
(2) To facilitate means of improving the relationship.
(3) To focus on the objective of improving productivity and the long term viability of the operation.
• For purposes of meeting with the Facilitator, the Company will appoint a committee of four senior managers including the General Manager and the union will appoint a committee of four union members.